- 1 kg sukuma wiki, rinsed
- 5 slices bacon
- 1 large onion, diced
- ¾ cup chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon tabasco sauce or other hot
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Light your Envirofit SuperSaver Charcoal Jiko using little charcoal.
- Remove the ribs from the sukuma wiki and chop them into strips.
- Place a large pot over medium heat. Once the pan is hot, add the bacon strips and cook until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon or spatula to a plate lined with paper towels and set aside. Do not drain the fat from the pan.
- Return the pan to the heat and add the onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened. Pour in the chicken stock and vinegar, then add the red pepper flakes and hot sauce. Stir to combine.
- Add the sliced sukuma wiki to the pan. Turn them in the bacon fat and onion mixture until they’ve lost some of their volume. Cover, reduce heat to low by slightly closing the SuperSaver air regulator and cook until ready, stirring occasionally.
- Once ready, remove pan from heat, drain any remaining stock and transfer the sukuma wiki to a serving bowl. Crumble the cooked bacon and sprinkle on top.
- Serve hot with ugali and see your family enjoy and want more!